Forum

Importing from texgen to abaqus

1. Torkan Shafighfard (Student)

Hello,

I have a problem while importing a model from TexGen to the Abaqus. Actually, I imported the model and it was orphan mesh. Then I changed it from geometry to mesh and I can edit my model, e.g. adding a hole to the plate. First of all, does this make any problem in post-processing? I mean does it affect the results? The problem is that the abaqus imports the model as a whole (composite plate) and i cannot see the warp and weft yarns. I hope I can clarify it that you can understand what I mean. the attached is what abaqus shows me. However, I want the warp and weft model. Actually, I am new in this field and I even don't know whether we really need it or not or it is just for figure reason. Also, after giving the material properties in texgen, we don't need to define any properties in abaqus, right?

Does anybody have any idea?

Thanks

1.PNG

2. Torkan Shafighfard (Student)

I have one more question. Would you please help me with that too?

What is the difference between 4sc and texgen itself? Is there any difference when importing to the abaqus or the 4sc just can give us more info such as stiffness matrix? Finally, as far as I get the 4sc is not an open source software and we can use just for 30 days, right? And with the cloud version we can just use it online and cannot save it in our desktop?

P.S. The only difference between 4sc and TexGen is that the first one gives the properties, right? there is no difference between models?

3. Xin Liu

Texgen can generate geometry and mesh of textile composites. It can also generate the inp file for Abaqus. You can view the warp and weft yarns by displaying the corresponding set (Please check the abaqus document for details). I am not sure if you can edit the model (e.g., add a hole) with orphan mesh. You can also ask this question on the texgen forum as this one is more related to the general texgen question.

For your second question, texgen4sc provides a way to perform homogenization analysis (computing effective material properties, plate stiffness and beam stiffness) based on mechanics of structure genome. We are also adding other capabilities now. You can import the inp file into Abaqus and run the homogenization using other methods, but you have to write your own scripts. Moreover, we have shown in many papers that MSG has several advantages over other homogenization methods. You can use the could version and download the result files on your own computer.

4. Wenbin Yu

TexGen4SC=TexGen+SwiftComp. There is no difference for the geometry generated/meshed by texgen. We just wrote scripts to connect TexGen with SwiftComp for computing effective properties in terms of beams/plates/solids. The cloud version has both. If you want a desktop version, you can download TexGen4SC from cdmHUB, which can be used to generate the model and input file for SwiftComp. Then you can either upload the input file to cdmHUB for homogenization or more conveniently request SwiftComp from AnalySwift. If you are a student/professor/researcher in a university, you can use it free by participating its academic partner program. ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu
  5. Torkan Shafighfard (Student)

Dr Liu,

Thanks you for your details. Yep. i did edition in abaqus using an add-on in abaqus. The thing I want to know is that we can give all the related properties in texgen without any need to define properties in abaqus, right? (I mean for just simple problems which do not require any subroutine)

Actually, there is not set while importing the part in abaqus. It is a whole plate model with mesh. However, thanks for your suggestion

6. Torkan Shafighfard (Student)

Thank you so much Prof. Yu,

I downloaded TexGen4SC. However, I need to link it with TexGen, right? Would you please let me know how can I do that?

Yes, I am a researcher in university.

7. Wenbin Yu

It should be clear in the manual. If you have downloaded the TexGen4SC, TexGen should already be included. All you need is to request SwiftComp. ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu
  8. Xin Liu

Yes. You can define properties in texgen. I am not sure how you imported your model. Usually, I export texgen model to inp file with voxel meshed, and the matrix set and yarn sets are automatically defined. 

9. Torkan Shafighfard (Student)

Dear Prof. Yu,

Thanks again for your answer. Would you please let me know is the SwiftComp free at all for researchers in universities or just 30 days trial? How should I request it?

Thanks

10. Wenbin Yu

You can request the code from Analyswift.com. The company will provide you more details. ---- Emailed forum response from wenbinyu@purdue.edu
  11. Torkan Shafighfard (Student)

Dear Dr, Liu,

Thank you so much again for your quick prompt. I read your comments here:

https://cdmhub.org/groups/yugroup/forum/default-section/discussions/3194

I just want to be sure. If I download the file from the dropbox you mentioned I do not need to compile it to texgen itself and texgen4sc works itself (Actually I think the dropbox link is just texgen and it does not work in my pc)? Actually, after downloading supporting files from texgen4sc in this website but it has not any installing file and I think we should compile it. Would you please help me the best way to compile it to texgen? I downloaded and installed the texgen and it worked well. However, I have no idea for 4sc. Also, we need swiftcomp anyway if we want to use 4sc, right since in the tutorial they export it as swiftcomp.

So, to be sure again texgen can give us the modelling that texgen 4sc gives, right? just we need 4sc if we want to have the stiffness properties, right? If someone wants to model and assign yarn and matrix properties and import it to abaqus and then model it there he/she does not need 4sc actually? Or if someone want to have stiffness matrix properties he can do it in cloud version and then download it to his windows system without need to to install the 4sc right?

Sorry for long question

Thanks again

12. Xin Liu

Yes, the link is an installation file and you don't need to compile by yourself. It is the texgen4sc installation file. We use the same tool as texgen to make the installation file so they look like the same. However, we found texgen4sc installation file only works for some computers. 

The files you download from cdmHUB are the source files, and you need to compile by yourself. As I mentioned in the above link, you can find the compile instruction from texgen website. Compiling open source code often requires a lot of programming skills, but the most important one is to be patient. Usually, you will found a lot of compiling errors and you have to google each of them. However, eventually you will be able to compile it, Just hold onto it. You have to require swiftcomp anyway.

You can use texgen to create a woven model (geometry, assign properties, and mesh) and output the inp file for abaqus. If you want to compute stiffness, you can use the texgen4sc and download the result files from cdmHUB.

13. Torkan Shafighfard (Student)

Thank you so much,

When I click on the 4sc launch toll it turns back to myaccount page. I used iit previous week without any problem. Do you have any idea?

14. Xin Liu

Please file a ticket to cdmHUB to report this issue. It seems a system issue not the app.